HOME
NEW: Visit my Mustang's Spec Page

Saturday, April 20, 2013

No Shift Kit

I decided today to get the mustang out of it's winter slumber.  Sure, I still have the front seats to do, but I won't be getting to them in the next couple of weeks so I went ahead and put the front seats back in.  It is just too nice of a day to keep it in the garage, plus I have taken a couple of days off work to do the seats once this semester is done at school.

Time to wake up!


Before I put the seats back in I wanted to rebuild the shifter.  I read on Mustang Monthly: How to Rebuild a Manual Shifter and it seemed like a pretty easy thing to do and my shifter is pretty sloppy.  Hoping to tighten it up I picked up a Scott Drake Shift Lever Rebuild Kit.  After cleaning up the shift lever and getting everything back together, I was ready to put it back in the car and that is when everything went to shit.  First one of the bolts broke when I was tightening it.  I had to drill out the broken stem left in the threads, luckily I didn't damage the threads and I put it back together (with one of the side caps being stubborn).  I put in the seats, and started up the car.  After cleaning off the dust I went on a quick test drive to the gas station to put some air in the tires.  Well lucky me, the shifter stopped being able to go into 1st or 2nd gear.  Awesome.  I promptly turned around and nursed it back home in 3rd gear.  I decided to remove the shift handle again and just put the old parts back in and forget about the stupid kit.  What a waste of money.

Looks can be deceiving 

Well at least I have everything done and I can take the car out for a cruise.  Speaking of.....peace out!




No comments:

Post a Comment