HOME
NEW: Visit my Mustang's Spec Page

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Suspension and Steering Rebuild - Day 1

Finally got started on the suspension rebuild yesterday.  After about six trips to the different parts stores throughout the past couple of days, I was finally ready to start the work.

The Goods:

I got everything I needed from Shari and John over at Opentracker Racing Products.  I highly recommend them if you are looking to rebuilt the suspension and steering of your early Ford.  What I like is they offer vintage racing equipment that has been updated and improved over what was originally offered in the 60's.  It fits very well with my goal of updating the car but trying to retain that stock look from the outside.
  • Standard upper control arms
  • Standard lower control arms
  • Roller spring perches 
  • 1 1/8" front sway bar kit 
  • 560lb 1" drop coil springs
  • Poly coil spring insulators
  • Manual steering kit with roller idler arm
  • Strut rod bushings
  • CSRP disc brake swap kit

Giggity

Removal of the Driver's Side Suspension

I wish I could say it went smooth, but I would be lying.  About the only thing that worked as it was supposed to was the removal of the drum brake assembly.  The first issue I had to tackle was a stripped square bolt on the upper shock bracket that was preventing me from removing the shock.  That probably added a good 30-45 minutes to a process that should have taken 15 minutes.  

I'm just going to say it.  I hate removing these springs.  The mustang doesn't have the standard MacPherson strut assembly (strut and shock are one unit) that most cars have nowadays.  The 1st generation of mustangs have a shock tower, and the spring mounts between the top of the shock tower to the top of the upper control arm.  In order to remove these, you need to use an internal spring compressor.  I picked one up but the damn thing was too long and I had to cut the stud that goes through the middle of the claps down by about half.  Of course, this was after about an hour of trying to get it to work as is.  And then it probably took another solid hour getting the stupid spring out.

Stuck & I hate you!
VICTORY!!!!!






By this time I am just exhausted.  I ended up getting the upper control arm and spindle off and then called it a night.  I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but that's how it goes sometimes.  After pumping myself full of Ibuprofen, I am ready to go start tearing down more today.

As I left it





No comments:

Post a Comment