HOME
NEW: Visit my Mustang's Spec Page

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Fixing the Stance Part II

This is actually work I completed last year as my spring project.  In my last post I cut the front spring to lower the front end and level the car with the rear suspension work I previously did.  For Christmas one year I got How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle and was reading more into my suspension.  In the book they mention that Chris Alston's Chassisworks makes a drop front control arm.  That's all I needed to get the wheels turning...  
Since I botched my holes during my fist suspension rebuild resulting in not being able to do the 1" Arning/Shelby drop.  Learning about the drop front control arm intrigued me because I could get the benefits of the Arning/Shebly drop using the stock mounting holes.  So I picked them up.  Once I got the new upper control arms attached, the cut springs no longer fit in the mustang, they fell right out.  So I picked up a pair of Eibach 3561.120 Pro-Kit Performance Springs.  The progressive rate springs have lowered the car even more and have are not that stiff on the street but have great performance.  

Also in the book, it talked about bump steer and how to correct it on early muscle cars.  I picked up a Baer Tracker Bump Steer Kit from Open Tracker Racing Products.  This was a fairly easy install and it was fun to work through the Longacre Racing bump steer gauge and doing some alignment in the garage. 

New Upper Control Arm 

Eibach spring (left) vs cut spring (right)

Baer Bump Steer Kit


Caster / Camber measurement

Toe measurement


Overall I am happy with the final product.  The car is lowered another 1" in the front and looks good.  Plus with the bump steer and lowered upper control arm it handles really well.  Might have to do something about the brakes now as I will be going into corners faster...

Final stance

No comments:

Post a Comment