HOME
NEW: Visit my Mustang's Spec Page

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mini Tach Install

     This is a project that I have been waiting to do for what seems like forever.  I actually tried to do it back in September, but had trouble getting the speedometer cable disconnected from the instrument cluster, so I had to put everything back together and try it again another time.  After my buddy Evan showed me how to loosen the cable from the firewall, I finally could go back and try it again.  I swear every weekend between then and now has been booked and I am not even sure what happened to October this year.  Anyway, I finally was able to work on the Mustang this weekend.

Today's Project: Before
    
     So what did I do this weekend?  I finally installed the Retroguage mini tach into the clock spot (see the picture above).  Retroguage was a company out of Australia that made these small tachs that fit perfectly in the clock spot of the instrument cluster.  What I really liked about these tachs is they are a clean install that looks like it came stock from the factory.  But there is only one problem with these tach and that is the guy that made these tachs decided to stop making them and sold the last of his inventory to Mustangs Unlimited.  They are now very hard to find.  These mini-tachs came in three varieties: V8-8,000rpm, V8-6,000rpm, and I6-6,000rpm.  By the time I got around to ordering one, they only ones left were the I6 version.  I ended up picking one up, but I needed to find someone to recalibrate the tach to work for a V8.  Redline Gauge Works not only recalibrated the tach, but they also rewired it so it will also work with electronic ignition if I ever switch to that in the future.  I would definitely suggest checking them out if you have a tach or instrument cluster question.


Original Front
     Once you know the trick of being able to loosen the speedometer cable from the firewall, removing the cluster is not that hard, there are about 10 screws that hold it in place.  I got the instrument cluster on the bench, removed the backing plate of the empty spot, and replaced it with the new tach.  Three screws later the new tach was in place, it was that simple.  
   
Original Back - the new tach will go replace
the white in the middle
     I also decided to upgrade the lights.  The current lights are very dull and don't really light up the cluster that much at night.  I ordered a set of LED replacement lights for the cluster and all I had to do is pull out the old ones from the back of the cluster and put the new ones in.  It probably took about 10 minutes to get everything new in the cluster.
  
      Then came the harder part: wiring the new tach up.  It turned out not to be that bad, using the old tach I was able to track back to the power, ground, and source wires.  I threw an inline fuse in the power wire, hooked all the wires up to the tach, and crossed my fingers.  Next I put the cluster back in the dash, hooked up the wires, connected the battery back up, and tested the lights.  They worked and man they were brighter!  Now for the moment of truth, I fired up the car and the tach worked!  First try!  This wiring stuff isn't so bad after all (famous last words!).

Today's Project: After (New Tach in Center Spot)
   
      The pictures of the new LED lighted dash is not coming through so well, so you will have to take my word for it.  Definitely a must if you have your instrument cluster out for any reason.  Since it was close to 70 degrees here today, I had to take it out for probably the final cruise of the year.  I will try to update later this week my plans for upgrades this coming spring, but for now I will relish in this small victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment