HOME
NEW: Visit my Mustang's Spec Page

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Truck Gets Some New Shoes

I got to work on my truck this past weekend.  A couple years ago I upgraded to the 18" FX4 wheels and I have always told myself when those tires go bad I am going to level the truck and get bigger tires.  Well it finally happened.  I decided on the following modifications:
          • Falken WildPeak A/T Tires - 305/65R/18
          • Skyjacker 2" Front Leveling Kit
          • Skyjacker Add-a-leaf
          • (2) Monroe Quick Struts

The Goods
























The leveling kit will level out the front with the stock rear end height and the add-a-leaf will then raise the back end to give the stock rake back to the truck.  With the add-a-leaf, if I am ever towing something (is it time to get a boat?) the truck will not look like it is pointing up in the air because of the weight on the back.

Replacing the old struts with brand new ones and a leveling kit was some of the hardest work I have done to date.  It took me about 6 hours to even get the driver's side back together and just over 2 hours for the passenger side.  After a couple of trips to NAPA, I finally had everything I needed to complete the job and I finally finished the struts around 10pm on Saturday.

It was a good thing I got the new Quick Struts.  The spring on the passenger side strut had broken some time ago.



























Firestone installed the new tires on Sunday and I love these new tires.  They turned out perfect, not too obnoxious.  We took them for a test on Monday, and they were nice and quiet on the highway.  They also gave good traction on the dirt and gravel back roads we encountered on our way to some trails outside of town.  I ran out of time and energy this past weekend and I still need to install the add-a-leaf.  I think I might try that this upcoming weekend, but for now here is how the truck looks with the new tires:











UPDATE:  I was also able to finally add the read add-a-leaf and you can read more about it here





No comments:

Post a Comment